How did we reach this conclusion?
Well, a closed study was conducted with 50 learned people were quizzed on how well do they know the history of the world and that’s exactly how we reached this conclusion. Well, without beating around the bush anymore, let us look at the unknown or lesser known facts about Columbus Day.
1. Columbus came as a ray of hope: You might know that in the 19th century more than 3.5 million Italian migrants came to the U.S. for survival, shelter, food, and employment. However, back then, citizens of the country looked down up the Italians as the backward class. It was after the discovery when the communities started to build cordial relations (Italian-American). Hence, it is a remembrance of all the hardships and trials.
2. Names of the ships: Most of you know that Columbus had around 115 men in his crew for the journey, but did you know what were the names of his three ships? Well, if you didn’t know, the names of his ships were the Pinta, Santa Clara, and the Santa Maria. The Santa Maria was the biggest and the slowest of them all, Pinta (the Painted One) was about 20 meters in length (about 65 feet) and about 7 meters wide (22 feet) approximately, and Santa Clara (popularly known as Nina) was about 45 feet long.
3. It is not only the U.S.: Well, you might find that the second Monday is always celebrated as the day in the United States but there are other countries also which observe it as a festival. Some parts of Canada, Puerto Rico, and some cities in Italy, as well as Spain, are the places that too find the legacy worth celebrating.
4. Columbus was not the first to explore: If you still think that Christopher Columbus was the first man who explored the New World, you need to look again. Africans and Europeans were already inhabiting in some parts of America. Eventually, Vikings from Europe and fishermen from the Iberian peninsula came into the picture. After them, it was Christopher Columbus who finally explored the New World.
5. Skiviez Sale: I bet you didn’t see this one coming. This fact is limited to the year 2016 and won’t last very long. Skiviez, on the occasion of Columbus Day, is offering everything visible on the site at a discount of Up To 70%. In this case, you’ll be able to shop any of your favorite male underwear styles at more than affordable prices. The sale would include men’s g-string, thongs, jockstrap, men’s bikini underwear and a lot more.
Did you know any of the above-mentioned facts? Do let us know which one or if there’s something that you would want out readers to know about Columbus Day in the comments below.